Therme Art Program
COMMISSIONS PROJECT MANAGER
Job Category: Commissions
Therme Group’s vision is to create the world’s most advanced wellbeing resorts, achieved by harnessing the complex interplay of nature, technology and culture. By combining the traditions of global thermal bathing with an indoor tropical ecosystem, Therme Group’s resorts deliver an experience that enhances mind, body and soul. Therme Group facilities welcome tens of millions of visitors every year, with new projects currently under development in the United Kingdom, mainland Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
Guided by an understanding of culture as the keystone of spiritual, mental and physical wellbeing, Therme Art looks to art to generate new content and creative wellbeing solutions for use across Therme Group. Working with artists to realise the integration of a ‘Wellbeing Culture’ within urban design, it is a catalyst for collaboration, bringing together an international network of leading figures from diverse fields to address the most urgent aspects of human life. Led by a deep engagement with the natural environment, Therme Art combines the interests of the latest scientific findings in human health, with the needs of urban design and culture.
To help achieve our ambitious cultural wellbeing mission, we are seeking a Commission Project Manager to manage our wellbeing commissions.
Outline of Duties:
As part of the Commission team, the Commissions Project Manager is responsible for managing and coordinating tasks and activities critical to realizing temporary and permanent wellbeing commissions. Working closely with artists, galleries, public and private partners, and contractors to conceptualise, develop, and execute commissions, projects/productions. This position reports to the Executive Curator and Director of Programming and works collaboratively with members of Therme Art’s curatorial, communications, collection, finance and development teams to support all essential department activities and institutional initiatives.
- • Research artists and their practices, as well as the commissions related context
• Work with curatorial team to develop overarching vision and strategy for the commissions
• Create feasibility studies and technical implementation plans for the commission including renderings, technical requirements, written descriptions, etc.
• Liaison and associate the commissioned artist with concept development, providing support as required
- • Work closely with artists, architects, fabricators, and other vendors to research, develop, and manage the production of art works
• Identify suitable materials, technologies, and construction method for the artwork production
• Coordinate packing, shipping, and delivery of art works
• Organise installation and de-installation of projects, supervise installation crews, and manage all on-site logistics
- • Develop and manage commission budgets in consultation with commission, curatorial, and finance departments
• Draw up and negotiate commission contracts, create proposals and secure permits
• Liaise and manage relevant external partners and contractors and facilitate necessary agreements
• Develop and track project schedules to ensure deadlines are met
• Coordinate fine art and liability insurance, create condition reports, and oversee ongoing maintenance of commissions
• Additional duties as requested by the team
The Commissions Project Manager will possess an unparalleled work ethic with a high sense of urgency and the ability to work under tight deadlines. They will have a deep interest in current issues around culture, wellbeing and sustainability. They will also hold:
- • Bachelor’s degree in related area of study (e.g. visual arts, project management, construction management, architecture, design, etc.)
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ professional experience in arts project management, exhibition organisation, or other relevant experience in the field
• Excellent research, written and verbal communication skills in one or several of the following fields: culture, art, architecture, design, philosophy, science and technology
• Experience working with artists, fabricators, and art installers; knowledge of art production methods and processes
• Strong organisational skills and capability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines
• Excellent attention to detail, creative thinking, and problem solving skills
• Competency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and other graphics/design/3D modeling programs
• Working knowledge of power tools and general construction methods; ability to perform outdoor physical tasks as part of the install/de-install of artwork
• A native level in English; a fluent level in German is a plus
We are looking for employees who would like to grow with us and to become invested in the Therme Art vision. In the process, we focus on agile project work, mutual support within teams, and working as equals.
How to apply:
Email a cover letter and CV to Therme Art at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Commissions Project Manager” in the email subject.